SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#400808 - 03/24/15 04:35 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Three week before leaving Marathon Key, Florida, my back went out really bad and I was having trouble walking. There's a distinct possibility that I may need spinal surgery in the very near future, maybe the next couple weeks, which even if successful, will put me out of commission for at least two to three months. I'll be contacting a neurosurgeon tomorrow morning to set up an appointment.

I've had two previous surgeries to my lower back. The first, though it was successful, left me paralyzed from the waist down for five months. I lost all the muscle tone in my legs, and it took several months after the surgery to learn how to walk again.

The second surgery was 10 years later, the results were a bit better, and within six months I was able to resume my work schedule. Fortunately, at that time I was a full-time, freelance, outdoor writer and did not have to do anything strenuous or lift any equipment heavier than a camera or fishing rod. The recovery was still quite painful and required months of physical therapy.

Now, 40 years later, the surgical procedures have really improved, but the success rate is still under 50 percent, which is not at all promising, even with the best surgeon. I'm not looking forward to any of this, but I can no longer tolerate the pain and constant use of pain killing drugs that have nasty side effects. I talked with one physician today, and he said "You know Gary, there will come a time when you might just have to retire." I know that's the case, but I wanted to play at least two more years.

If I must retire, then, I guess there will be a lot of gear on Ebay at the end of summer, and I'll spend the rest of my days sailing, which is not a bad way to retire. I know I will miss performing, but most of all, I will dearly miss all the wonderful people I play and sing for every week.

Russ, as my doctor friend said today, there will come a time, and you will definitely know when that time comes.

Good luck, old friend, and I hope things work out for the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400809 - 03/24/15 05:10 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ, as my doctor friend said today, there will come a time, and you will definitely know when that time comes (Gary)

I thought I had reached that point three times in my life only to find different why of staying in front of the audience. Aches and pains I do have, but it’s amazing how inventive you can become when you have a strong desire.

Saturday mornings I play for Special Needs children, they are probably the best audience going. I get hugs and kisses. With worker and parents there’s about 70 people.

Life is still good, John C.

#400825 - 03/25/15 08:33 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, Guys! It's just ironic that I'm at the top of my game jobs wise and at the bottom health-wise.

And, I'm not ready to quit...not music, not teaching , not writing or film making...certainly not philanthropy.

I should quit complaining and be thankful for what I've been able to do.

Thanks, all,

Russ

#400827 - 03/25/15 08:51 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, I'm sitting here in my office, a hot patch on my back, a heating pad on top of that, and getting ready to work some more on my tax return. As I read this, the things we have in common are uncanny, though you have been far more successful in those endeavors. If you sit down and contemplate all the things we've both done in our lives, which is far more than the average person ever dreams of, the goals we've accomplished, the lives we've touched, the friends we've made, and how we've been blessed to live in a part of the world where all this was possible, this truly has been one Hell of a ride cowboy. There's really not many things that we have not done in our lives, and very few individuals will ever achieve half those goals in life.

So, if you MUST, for reasons of health, step down and begin smelling the roses, it's really not a bad thing. Think about it,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400828 - 03/25/15 08:53 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Russ, I'm sitting here in my office, a hot patch on my back, a heating pad on top of that, and getting ready to work some more on my tax return. As I read this, the things we have in common are uncanny, though you have been far more successful in those endeavors. If you sit down and contemplate all the things we've both done in our lives, which is far more than the average person ever dreams of, the goals we've accomplished, the lives we've touched, the friends we've made, and how we've been blessed to live in a part of the world where all this was possible, this truly has been one Hell of a ride cowboy. There's really not many things that we have not done in our lives, and very few individuals will ever achieve half those goals in life.

So, if you MUST, for reasons of health, step down and begin smelling the roses, it's really not a bad thing. Think about it,

Gary cool

DITTO !! cool2

#400831 - 03/25/15 10:22 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm REALLY enjoying semi-retirement. But after a week or so, I'm chomping at the bit (as the cowboys say) to get back in the saddle and entertain my adoring masses!
Right now I'm doing about two weekends a month, and week nights when I feel like it. Pretty sweet deal!
Back to Russ. You have plenty of money. Stop all the long days and nights of production and JUST play for the occasions that you want to do, like those lucrative private things. Make the trips abroad until you get killed or raped over there, because the money is really sweet for a few days work.
You don't need to work yourself silly for 12 or 18 hours on end.
Listen to me. I'm old and know stuff.

#400832 - 03/25/15 11:20 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mason, you do know stuff, but the air's so thin 7 feet off the ground, I wonder if you don't have a little oxygen deprivation sometime.

Seriously, you're the ONLY one I know who can talk about someone getting raped and make it FUNNY as hell!

Thanks, bud!

Russ

#400833 - 03/25/15 12:24 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There are many great posts here. All trying to help in their way; and that’s good.

As for me I have learned not to make any decision without waiting until I feel something inside. When I act I my first thought, emotion, it normally gets me going in a wrong direction.

When I get past that first step and tune in the voice inside there is no doubt what I should do.

OK, Off the Soap Box,
John C.

#400839 - 03/25/15 01:44 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, send me all your money. That will take away your need to decide whether or not to continue working. I'll send a small donation to Musicians Village in your name so you'll have some place to go when the gigs dry up. In the spirit of all that we stand for, I'll do my best to spend it all on 'toys' and Voluptuous women (hand-picked by Don Mason). You won't regret it (and I know I won't).

Kidding, of course.....well all except the "send me all your money" part smile smile. Seriously, it should be about time you were heading out Atlanta way. Drop me an email or give me a call.

chas

#400846 - 03/25/15 08:03 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
" I'll do my best to spend it all on 'toys' and Voluptuous women (hand-picked by Don Mason)."

... and then you'd probably just waste the rest of it! smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online